Monday, October 22, 2007

If your parents, dislocated and distraught, are whining, here's another story...

This is from a friend of mine who is displaced due to the fires as well. 
 
Dear Michael,
 
We were evacuated yesterday from Lores Canyon and are presently staying in Newport Beach.  Our home is at risk and right in the line of the fire, based on what we can see on television.  We got out with a few pieces of clothing, our laptops, and about one precious item each--my mother's pearls, my son's baby blanket, my daughter's doll.  I have 3 children with me: Kevin, my 13 year old; Caitlin, my 11 year old, and Sarah, my colleague Tony Sowch's daughter, who is 10.  She was spending the night Saturday and by Sunday morning, the canyons had been closed, and us with NO electricity.  We only found out about the fires because the electricity came on for 10 minutes and someone reached us by landline, since our mobile phones do not work up there.  We came to Irvine to escape the fires, and then ended up at a friend's house that was evacuated last night, too.  Needless to say, it has been a terribly traumatic 24+ hours and I do not even know where we are going tomorrow.  We might need to take you up on your offer of a place to sleep, as we cannot stay forever in this hotel in Newport.
 
Love,
Lizzie
 
 
Wicked pix...

No comments: