Monday, June 11, 2007

Microsoft Service Rant 3

Just for fun, here's a note I wrote back in November. Got service on 12/18 after much more hassle.


----- Original Message -----
From: MICHAEL FRISHBERG
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2001 8:56 PM
To: billg@Microsoft.com
Subject: CST49202215ID A complaint and a SUGGESTION!!!

Dear Mr. Gates (and bcc'ed folk some of whom have been cheerleading my efforts for service resolution these past weeks):

As you can see by the note below, I was promised a response within 24 hours. It has now been TWO WEEKS, and I have nothing from this approach, or from any of the other MSN.COM folks I have called (about 8 different 800 numbers). I have been promised things for over three weeks now, and nothing, NOTHING promised has been delivered!

Please see the attachment, a complaint letter. I initially sent this (snail mail) on Nov 14 to an address in Bellevue which was given to me by MSN.COM as a corporate location for complaints. I couldn't get a name of a person, or even the division president's name to personalize the letter. It was returned to me, address unknown. I now have re-sent the returned letter, complete in its original envelope, to MSNIA Consumer Advocate, with no expectation of satisfaction, my expectations a result of the absolutely dismal track record of MSN.COM so far.

I have not heard from MSN.COM, ever, although I have called and spent over 16 hours trying to resolve the problem. I have been promised call backs on at least 10 occasions. Not once has anyone called me or initiated contact, not even an email. But I am beyond angry, disappointed, surprised, upset, mad, frustrated, dismayed, or other adjective you might choose. I have already been through every stage of grief. The situation I find myself in is nothing short of INCREDIBLE.

At this point, I just want to have a simple answer, when will my DSL connection to MSN.COM be available with proper provisioning, a usable router shipped to me so I can stop being on dial-up? Seems simple, yet no one at MSN.COM can answer it!

That includes the call I made to MSN.COM yesterday morning, with the assurance that I would have that answer within 24 hours (seems like a long time), but no one called me today either.
Now, I have a suggestion.
1. You should hire me. I have attached my resume.
2. I am qualified, capable, and interested in helping you and bring a unique product and process to address quality improvement. (See www.cliffsidesoftware.com for a description of Plan AHEAD, I remain the President of Cliffside which is currently not actively marketing our products and services, but I am more than happy to discuss our unique solution for quality improvement with you, call me).
3. Make me VP of Customer Quality and Satisfaction (the incumbent should be summarily fired, based on my experiences).
4. I'll need a salary of $350,000, a budget of $2M and a staff of 10. We'll need significant upside bonus' when we fix MS particular quality problems we can jointly identify when I come on board. Don't forget a signing bonus, relocation and equity, but I don't mean to quibble.
5. I'll also need total responsibility and authority for fixing customer satisfaction across all MS systems and customer support organizations. Blanket authority to fix things thanks.

So, I give you two choices, find out when my line will be provisioned, and when my modem will arrive, or hire me under the terms above so I can move and get service in a new location, since it appears MSN.COM doesn't know I exist where I am today (and where, until I was forced to move to MSN.COM due to the QWEST.NET situation, I had been a happy user of DSL for over 2 years with no technical glitches at all).

I need the DSL service to obtain a job. Obviously, if you get me that job I won't need the service and we'll both be happy!

I am serious about helping you.

Yet, I have not seen anything about MSN.COM that shows they are serious about doing business, satisfying customers, or fulfilling promises. Most of the MSN.COM staff appear extremely sincere in their desire to help, a sincerity only exceeded by their ineffectiveness. As I state in my attachment, I remain eager to be astounded by your response.

At this point, over three weeks into my problem, I will be astounded if anyone responds at all!

Pretty low bar to jump, good luck.

Sincerely,
Michael W. Frishberg
503-788-6424 (home office)
503-816-9159 (Mobile Phone)

----- Original Message -----
From: microsoftcom_contactus@css.one.microsoft.com
Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2001 11:52 AM
To: michael_frishberg@msn.com
Subject: RE: CST49202215ID - Microsoft.Com ContactUS
Hello,
Thank you for contacting Microsoft.com. This auto response is sent to inform you that your e-mail message has been received by Microsoft, and has been assigned a Customer Service Transaction reference number which you will find in the Subject line. This reference number starts with (and includes) "CSTID."

Your e-mail message has also been assigned to a Microsoft support representative. Microsoft responds to most e-mail within 24 hours, seven days a week (excluding holidays).

To keep all correspondence on this subject in one e-mail message, it is important that you include the relevant CSTID in the Subject line of your reply messages. Sending a reply without the CSTID in the Subject line results in a new case being opened. This may result in possible crossed-wire communications and delays in providing you with an answer to your question. Thank you for your cooperation.Sincerely,Microsoft Customer Servicehttp://www.microsoft.com

1 comment:

Janet Spiegel said...

This is hysterical. Personally, I use Time/Warner Cable. Pretty good customer service. I wonder if you'll ever hear back from anyone???