Thursday, August 2, 2007

Irony upon Irony, or "What's more Oxymoronic: A Patient Salesman or an Evangelistic Insurance Agent?" (Frish is the Patient Salesman!)

My letter to the editor of the LA Times was published recently...well, they published almost all of it...

http://nonshoppingchannel.blogspot.com/2007/07/is-term-bright-that-threatening.html

The letter, as it was published, was enthusiatically read by a gentleman in Riverside County, whose name shall remain anonymous, although I doubt he'd have a big problem with me giving him some free advertising. I believe I have discovered that he is an Insurance Agent...more on that later...

The reaction, upon reading my letter, by this person, was to call my home number, whereupon he received my cell phone, and he called me, and I gave him my home address...

He seemed just like what I thought he was...probably harmless.

He sent me, in an envelope just big enough for it, a pamphlet.

Here's the technical description (if I were going to get a quote from my estimator for this print job...):
48 pages plus cover
80# Cover 4/0
70# third sheet guts 1/1
8 x 3.5 or thereabouts, bound on the 8" side
Saddle Stitched

The Title of this article is:

The Beast The Dragon and The Woman, by Joe Crews

Published by:

Amazing Facts
P.O. Box 1058
Roseville, CA 95678-8058
ISBN 1-58019-022-7 (which google doesn't recognize!)

Did find this on the web:

Don Mackintosh BSN MDiv
Director
Amazing Facts Center Of Evangelism
916 209-7279
donm@amazingfacts.org

If any of you wish to write to Don, perhaps I'll send him a note to let him know I read the book.

Well, I read some of it.

Turns out, god, for some unknowable reason, will be destroying most of us soon.

I'm afraid that I don't share enough reality with my friend in Riverside, or with Don Mackintosh BSN MDiv to profit from a conversation about ANYTHING let alone the "end times" or existence or non-existence of god...

Anyway this pamphlet is a really great artifact of my misadventure with the editorial, so I'm glad I own it. It has about a third of the passages underlined, emphasis by my mentor in Riverside about what was important after all.

It has brought to light two extraordinarily and gigantic ironies.

Irony 1: There is a PRONOUNCEMENT/CONTENTION in the text:

"These are facts of history that can be verified by any authoritative historical source."

Too bad they were not referring to Jesus Christ, who by no means can be verified by any authoritative historical source!

Irony 2: The fellow who sent me the "screed" is AN INSURANCE AGENT

screed: noun
Etymology: Middle English screde fragment, alteration of Old English scrEade -- more at SHRED
1 a : a lengthy discourse
b : an informal piece of writing (as a personal letter)
2 : a strip (as of a plaster of the thickness planned for the coat) laid on as a guide
3 : a leveling device drawn over freshly poured concrete

Why is being AN INSURANCE AGENT an irony?

He's certain god is going to sent the beast down to Earth and those that follow the beast will die and go to hell, but he'll be going to Heaven...

What the hell is he selling insurance for then? LOL

Okay, there is a third or fourth irony too:

3. It is ironic that this fellow felt that my letter was in some way a cry for help on my part, as I am "seeking the truth". He felt compelled to share the truth as he knows it, for the sake of my very soul I'm sure.

Wow, when I think of all the time he spends, dwelling on the ridiculous and sublime within the old and new testaments (this pamphlet let me in on several secrets, like how to decode how many days are in a biblical year for example!).

Then I think of how little time his chemicals will exist on the Earth. And, (full credit to "Mr. T") I PITY THE FOOL.

His only lifetime, *THE OPERATIVE WORDS HERE ARE LIFE AND TIME this one, is being totally wasted with illusion, superstition, legend, and nothing but fantasy. In their world, Satan and Jesus are battling for souls.

In the real world, where the rest of us reside (and, where the "religious" do too, regardless of their incredible mirage induced psychosis), life remains meaning free.

That is why those who have a high tolerance for ambiguity lead happier lives.

No comments: