Thursday, May 24, 2007

From somewhere else in response to something else.

Here's your confusion <> 05/24 23:34:43
First, Atheism is not a religion.
You could consider it a faith however.

1. As a "strong" atheist I believe there is/are no god(s))
2. I have no way to prove without doubt that there are no god(s).
3. Faith is a belief in something not reasonable. It is belief without proof.
4. Therefore it is an article of faith with me that there is/are no god(s).

Doesn't make Atheism in any way a religion however.

Other atheists simply do not believe, therefore have no faith at all.

This is why agnostics, those that "don't know" if there is god, gods or not, feel theirs is the only logical position.

I agree, my strong atheist position is not as logical as the agnostic position, but I find it far more descriptive of the reality within which I find myself.

1 comment:

Frish said...

This is a meta note regards this post.

Most of this post I posted on Craigslist, in response to a confused deist.

Then, I posted it again, with the same title as here, on Frostcloud, another forum I frequent.

Then, I posted it here, and now added this addendum.

I predict that (should there be anyone around in 300 to 500 years (I'd bet against)) a sport will be to discover such quirks on the net.

Discover where folk posted similar or identical posts on various sites simultaneously.

Wonder if there is a sci-fi story in that, or a weird way to store data or encrypt information, by posting something in various web locales and then finding the patterns.